Honey is amazing for accenting foods and drinks, for brewing mead, and for eating directly off of the spoon. But did you know that honey can be a simple at-home spa treatment?
Honey can serve as a wonderful product to add to your beautification rituals! I encourage you to use local honey from a natural beekeeper so you can be assured of its purity. Some of the big box stores carry honey that is supplemented with High Fructose Corn Syrup and other less-than-ideal chemical treatments.
Beyond being beautiful, tasting amazing, and having a delicate aroma, honey is a very good addition to your skincare regimen. Honey is a demulcent and moisturizer, gentle enough to use on sensitive or sunburned skin. The pH and the enzymes in the honey give an antimicrobial effect, which can help with acne or other skin issues.
DIY Simple Honey Facial
(How to Smear Honey on your Face)
- Tie back your hair and roll up long sleeves.
- Wash your face with warm water and gentle soap. Pat your sweet face dry with a clean towel. Look at how pretty you are! Smile at yourself in the mirror.
- Dip your fingertips into a jar of honey and apply small dollops of honey directly to your skin all over your face. Use the fingertips of both hands to very gently spread the honey around, including on your lips and in the folds around your nose.
- Gently press your fingertips all over your face, lifting them up, and pressing back down. As the honey dries a bit, you can feel this process pulling your skin. This brings blood flow and vitality to all of those tiny blood vessels!
- Keep patting your wonderful face until the honey dries. This should not take long at all, just about one minute. Rinse your hands, and sit down for a little bit. This would be a great time to meditate, paint your toenails, or do anything else calming and self-restorative. I like to jump into a nice warm bath, personally.
- After about ten minutes or so, splash your face clean. If you rinse with nice warm water, you shouldn’t have to use soap. Let yourself feel clean and new.
- Pat your face dry again, and look at your glow! This simple ritual helps to remove blackheads and restore vitality to your skin when performed regularly.
I find that this simple honey facial is a totally enjoyable activity, and it truly works to help clean the skin and leave you feeling moisturized! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Get more honey facial recipes from Herbal Academy!